Last modified: June 17, 2020
ETHGlobal Inc. (“ETHGlobal”, “us” or we) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it by complying with this policy.
This policy describes:
- How we collect, use, disclose, and protect the personal information of our customers, event participants, community members and website users (“you”).
- The types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you sign up for or attend events, respond to surveys or electronic communications, or visit the website www.ethglobal.co or any related websites we operate.
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Privacy laws in Canada generally define “personal information” as any information about an identifiable individual, which includes information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person.
This policy applies to information we collect, use, or disclose about you:
- On the ETHGlobal website or any related websites operated by us, including event-specific websites.
- Relating to events organized by ETHGlobal, including any information gathered during the event registration process or over the course of the event itself.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and ETHGlobal.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this website, or which are used for ETHGlobal events.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
- Through any surveys organized by ETHGlobal.
Please read this policy carefully to understand our policies and practices for collecting, processing, and storing your information. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to use our website or any program or service we offer through our website or that is linked to this policy. Similarly, if you do not agree with our policies and practices, you are not eligible to participate in our events, programs or services.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We collect and use several types of information from and about you,
- Personal information, that we can reasonably use to directly or indirectly identify you, such as your name, age, e-mail address, Internet protocol (IP) address, user name or other similar identifier, ethereum account address, location, event and developer feedback, and any other identifier we may use to contact you (“personal information”).
We provide an opportunity for any user to unsubscribe from or opt-out of contact for marketing purposes on an ongoing basis by using the unsubscribe mechanism at the bottom of our e-mails, or e-mailing us
- Non-personal information, which means information that does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity or directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as or statistical or aggregated information. We may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from personal information. For example, we may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature.
- Technical information, including your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, or information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our website(s), and usage details.
- Non-personal details about your website interactions, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through and from our website(s) (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, or any phone number used to call our customer service number.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
We use different methods to collect your information, including through:
- Direct interactions with you when you provide it to us, for example, by filling in forms and surveys, or corresponding with us by phone, email, or otherwise.
- Your participation in our events may also provide information for us to publish or display through participating in our events.
- Automated technologies or interactions as you navigate through our website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Third parties or publicly available sources, for example, our business partners.
Information you provide to us
The information we collect directly from you on or through our websites may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms. This includes information provided at the time of registering for an event, subscribing to any service we may offer from time to time, or requesting information or services from us. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our websites or services.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research or other purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our websites or those of our technology partners.
- Your search queries on our website.
Information We Collect Through Cookies and Other Automatic Data Collection Technologies
- Details of your visits to our websites, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on a website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical information and may include personal information, and we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our websites and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our websites according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our websites.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings that are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity)
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To produce and carry out our events in a way that encourages development and connections between participants, sponsors and other partners. This includes connecting event participants with sponsor companies and partners who are offer platforms and services that may be useful for event participants, and vice versa.
- To present our websites and its contents to you.
- To fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when it was collected, or any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide our partners and sponsors with important feedback about the Ethereum developer community based on your feedback and survey responses.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts with you, including for billing and collection or to comply with legal requirements.
- To notify you about changes to our events, websites or any products or services we offer or provide.
- To improve our events, websites, products or services, marketing, or customer relationships and experiences.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features, social media, or similar features at our events or on our websites.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
DISCLOSURE AND TRANSFER OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- In accordance with applicable law, to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of ETHGlobal Inc.'s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by ETHGlobal about our customers and users is among the assets transferred.
- To third party event sponsors and partners to contact you, which may include marketing their products and services to you. The purpose of these disclosures is to connect event participants with relevant sponsors and partners in order to enhance the experience of event participants and improve the likelihood of success of their projects. Our events and event participants are often most successful when participants develop new tools and software that build on existing tools and software owned and operated by our event sponsors and partners. Sponsors and partners offer valuable advice and guidance to event participants on their projects. Connecting participants with sponsors and partners is an integral part of our events and creates a more meaningful experience for participants.
- With respect to survey responses, to give sponsors and partners feedback on events, products and services.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist us with website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep personal information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them, and to process the personal information with the same standards set out in this policy.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable law.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of ETHGlobal Inc., our customers, or others.
ETHGlobal is based in Canada. However, we may process, store, and transfer your personal information in and to a foreign country, with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. In these circumstances, the governments, courts, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain access to your personal information through the laws of the foreign country.
By submitting your personal information or engaging with our websites, you consent to this transfer, storage, or processing.
CHOICES ABOUT HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you have opted in to receive certain emails from us but no longer wish to have your email address used by the Company to promote our own or third parties' products or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link we have included in the email. This opt-out does not apply to information provided to the Company as part of an ongoing event, service experience, or other ongoing transactions.
However, if you do not consent to the ways we collect, use, disclose and transfer your information, you will not be eligible to participate in our events, surveys, or use our websites.
The security of your personal information is very important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to us or on our websites. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on our websites or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes. By law you have the right to request access to and to correct the personal information that we hold about you.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and your right to access, and to provide you with the personal information that we hold about you or make your requested changes. Applicable law may allow or require us to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the personal information that we hold about you, or we may have destroyed, erased, or made your personal information anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
If you are concerned about our response or would like to correct the information provided, you may contact us at email@example.com
WITHDRAWING YOUR CONSENT
Where you have provided your consent to the collection, use, and transfer of your personal information, you may have the legal right to withdraw your consent under certain circumstances. To withdraw your consent, if applicable, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you withdraw your consent we may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service. We will explain the impact to you at the time to help you with your decision.
CONTACT INFORMATION AND CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE
Josh Stark, Co-founder: email@example.com
We have procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about our handling of personal information, our compliance with this policy, and with applicable privacy laws. To discuss our compliance with this policy please contact us using the contact information listed above.